Thread: Licensed Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (BONES)
View Single Post
Old 2009-07-10, 16:38   Link #120
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I never disputed the realism of it, as it did a fairly credible portrayal of a rebellious child her age, and a "out of touch" family. Just that ...this was not what i really expected (nor wanted, after seeing it) from the show - for a show about an earthquake there was a distinct lack of said earthquake, and an overdose of a tedious teenage girl, and i can't say the later aspect is going to make me appreciate the former any more when it actually hits. (I was lured in by false advertising!). Yes, you probably need a character to place on the stage, but for me personally there was nothing about the episode that would make me want to see more of her. Or of the show, for that matter, but heh - i suppose the next episode will make or break the show for me ... if i actually summon the will to watch it that is
I totally disagree.

The show came up with exactly what I expected to see. I don't know what you were expecting... Care to explain in detail?

I think when you get something that is supposed to be about an earthquake, it is the people in it that matters, not the earthquake itself. We are trying to explore the minds of the distressed victims. I think that a person going to see this should ask themselves how they would feel and react in such a situation. Here we are given a VERY realistic depiction of an andolescent girl's life, and there already was an incredible about of character development in just one episode. This way, the viewer can somehow relate to her or the family's situation in life and say "Hey, I had thoughts like this at that age." The only difference is that many or most of us haven't had our lives just flip upside down like we are about to see in the future episodes.

I was actually worried coming into this episode that they'd just jump into the earthquake scene without any lead up or development. I found it anything but boring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
You don't get it, its not that it should not have characters but as Sky pointed out this intro was too tedious and all explaining. We don't really need it to be this detailed as it spoils future "remember when..." moments. What would you rather have: a) re-runs of scenes you saw b) flashbacks to scenes you did not know. With so much depth even if they don't show scenes we've seen, as far as her family life and such not a lot can be put forth to surprise us with; I'd rather they rushed it and we got b) instead.
How does it spoil future flashbacks? The flashbacks would probably not be about this episode... It would most likely further detail the life she had before the earthquake. It doesn't ruin the development at all, because there are so many things they haven't even touched on in her life. Also, we haven't even met all the characters and have had them developed at all in this show...

=====

Anyway, I really enjoyed this first episode. Honestly, I'm willing to say that this was defintely the best first episode of any anime this season. Only real negative criticisms I have are that the OP and ED are not very good (And feel out of place).

I thoroughly enjoyed the more serious nature of this anime. It's a shame that not more anime are serious in nature. They are far too few in number.

The animation wasn't anything special, but it wasn't bad by any means. I expect a lot better visuals in future episodes.

And man, a show with actual well done character development... It's been awhile! No thanks to the anime studios churning out pure moe and girls with guns.

This is defintely a keeper for the season.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote