View Single Post
Old 2008-01-17, 15:19   Link #475
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
About the long-range capabilities of Nanoha, I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned Ep03 of the first season yet. Here we have a canonical example where Nanoha has to shoot beyond the horizon, and at some points of the shooting, has her eyes closed, meaning that physical sight is not necessary to aim at the target.

Cheers.
That seems REALLY debatable IMO… First off the scene is jumping all over the place during it without a single long or wide shot showing the shot to established a definite or even vague distance. Second the target is immobile I don’t doubt that a mage could hit an immobile point target at longer ranges, but that’s not really the issue here as sadly in combat your targets are rarely so obliging as to stand still for you to blast them. Third you’re just flat out wrong about her eyes she closes them for a moment to concentrate before her second shot but opens them before she fires and she never closes them period during the first shot.

Then we get into the fact she not even technically really shooting at something she’s using a sealing spell on it which may or may not require precise targeting, and lastly (though scene is so spastic it’s acutally hard to tell what’s happening) the shot seems to be arching toward it’s target and thus could well be guided or perhaps even homing on the jewel seed. In any case none of the shots in the scene really give anything I can see that could be used to gain a true sense of the range involved of the shot, but given the laundry list of mitigating factors I just listed it barely matter this is an outlier in the truest sense of the word. This event was perpetuated by a highly specific set of circumstance with little applicability to more generalized and common battles and that has virtually nothing like it seen again which reinforces that point.