View Single Post
Old 2009-02-09, 15:57   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@Papaya: Aye, I've read the research as well.... All of your cites are completely irrelevant to the subject. I looked them up since you didn't link them:
Spoiler for Cite #1 and #3 irrelevant to topic; only quoting the abstract for obvious reasons:

Since you started off by implying I know nothing because I disagree with your assertions - and then your scientific cites are irrelevant... <shrug>.

"Race" is a colloquial term ... it simply isn't used in genetics because it is amorphous and poorly constrained. Even the soft sciences are learning it isn't meaningful when looking at categorizing populations as they migrate and shift. At best its a messy cultural or trend tag - and knowledgeable people cannot agree on where the lines are. You're simply pointing at stronger variation in your examples. Isolate those humans for a few hundred thousand years and then you may have an example.
You're also playing the "conspiracy of silence" card which I find interesting ... next you're going to tell me there's a "Chinese" race or that anyone who is a Jew is a member of the "Jewish race"? The very idea of "various European races" is amusing -- there's simply too much exchange of genetic material over the last few thousand years much less further back. Modern DNA analysis is showing just how interconnected humanity is. The word "race" is simply too diluted to be useful.
Quote:
Everyone in the research community acknowledges that race discussion and research is off the limits.
Well, "flat earth", "phrenology", Velikovsky-pseudoscience, and "creationism" are also poor subjects to get funding on. Trying to pin it on "political correctness" is a canard...

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-02-09 at 19:14.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote