Thread: Dating
View Single Post
Old 2009-10-13, 23:07   Link #1867
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitpersonality View Post
So I've started talking to that other girl that likes me since the events of yesterday, yeah I know that sounds bad but I'm just trying to lay foundation or at least make her think a little bit about me, I don't want to jump right into her pants or anything, but she's really nice and we have a good deal in common.

Any advice on ways I can get myself stuck in her head in a positive way? I'm a good flirt, but she seems a little oblivious to that sort of thing.
If she's oblivious, be a little more direct. Not to be the rain on a parade, but I think it's a bit early to go for another relationship at this point. How many days has it been since you officially cut loose from your girlfriend - two? Three? You seemed pretty heavily committed, as well, and it also sounds like you're still sorting your feelings for her.

My advice would be to take two to three months before you jump back into the dating scene. Right now you're still going over your feelings for your ex-girlfriend, and more importantly, you're getting used to the idea of being single again. When I went through it, I found it painful. You know what it's like to be with someone intimately, yet now it's lost. You see it all around you in other couples, and every time you see it it's as if someone's stepping on your heart. You don't want to be alone anymore; you want that intimacy back in your life, perhaps whether you realize it or not. Perhaps as a result, you'll find someone and make them out to be more compatible and more attractive to you than you'd otherwise feel, partly as a result of wishful thinking.

There's a word for what I'm describing - "rebound." Nobody likes to be someone else's rebound, and I don't imagine that the committal types of people would like to perform a rebound, either (because once the confusion from the past relationship wears off, you'll feel like you've accumulated baggage and you're obligated to stick with it).

You don't have to take the advice, of course, but there it is. Even if you think that you find the absolute perfect girl, don't do anything more than make friends with her. Recognize that you are likely in a time of impaired judgment, and let time sort it out. Try to avoid making "heavy" decisions (or here, relationship-based decisions) during that time.

And sorry to be a downer - it probably isn't the type of thing you care to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Ledgem, the Jedi. You know it's forbidden for a jedi to get married, right
I didn't know that, actually. Well, it's a silly rule