View Single Post
Old 2014-04-21, 20:05   Link #18
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
You still haven't addressed the point I raised about the quality of discussion. Like I said, it's not just about major plot twists being spoiled. Many things can ruin the discussion. Fanboying/fangirling over characters that anime-only watchers have been barely introduced to, source readers unable to identify with anxious anime-only readers and vice versa because of familiarity with the material, seeing spoiler tags everywhere and knowing what you're trying to express will probably be a moot point for half of the thread, and so on. Anime-only viewers need to deal with these issues. Severity of it really depends on the title being discussed. While in SAO's case perhaps plot spoiling was more rampant, but Mahouka's thread is pretty much ruined by the above-mentioned things, at least for me.
I'm sorry you feel that way. If your participation in that thread or on this forum at large is being ruined by the fact that you have to coexist in the same thread with source readers who are also watching the anime (and so bring that perspective to the discussion), we're not going to do anything right now to ease your "pain" beyond enforcing the rules. Spoiler tags are hardly "everywhere" (I remember very well when this was the case, which is what led to the current rules), and when they are present in anime threads, they must use clear labels that give you guidance as to whether you should open them or not. It means that there will be conversations others will have in the thread that you may want to avoid, and the tags give you that choice. We're not going to introduce a rule that anime threads have to be presented from an "anime-only perspective" at this time, as I think that is impossible to force on people (you can't put the genie back in the bottle, and there can be value in comparing and contrasting multiple points of view).

I want to say that we often get complaints from the other side of the issue, with source readers not at all comprehending why we don't allow spoilers to be posted under spoiler tags since "that's what they're for". So you may think that our policy is far too lenient towards source readers, but many other people think we're way too biased towards anime-only viewers and our rules "kill discussion" unnecessarily. It's also a large point of contention because our rules about spoilers are different and more strict than what many other anime discussion forums use.

We take all feedback into consideration, but I don't foresee any "quick fix" for this sort of concern at this time, and don't agree in pushing the changes requested.