View Single Post
Old 2006-03-11, 01:24   Link #29
redwoodtreesprite

(Edited for inclusion of the Japanese terminology.)

I recognize what they are. Mascot heads. (Or kigurumi, the Japanese term for them.)

I used to work in costume shops, and got very familiar with mascot company catalogs. They do custom heads, as well as popular ones. In the USA, things like bulldogs, tigers and such, as well as somewhat human pirate heads and others. And you could commission specialty heads for your company.

As this type of look is popular in Japan, it makes sense that there would be standard mascot/kigurumi heads sold like that.

They wouldn't be cheap, but if you really wanted to get one or more, try googling around a bit, limiting your search to Japanese sites. Look for words used on pages with these heads, and also in the photo description.

As mascot companies are often sports-oriented, you could also look for Japanese companies that sell mascot/kigurumi costumes, and see which ones have these type of heads as well.

But as I said, they won't be cheap. Average cost for a simplistic and small-sized mascot head in the USA was around $200.00 or more, and that was over 5 years ago. And these do have rooted hair, which can add a bit to the cost of a head.

Last edited by redwoodtreesprite; 2006-03-11 at 12:38.
redwoodtreesprite is offline   Reply With Quote