View Single Post
Old 2008-05-17, 19:03   Link #207
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
You can't compare it since a gravity well and an atmosphere make a huge difference. It's because of this difference, there's the perception of small ships being faster than big ships, when it couldn't be further from the truth. Technically speaking, if Quarter can do it, every capital ship should be able to do it.
If their thrusters moved the way the Quarter's did, then perhaps. We've yet to see signs that this is standard issue for most Macross-style battleships, or even the frigates and destroyers seen in series. Part of the issue is that while larger thrusters with more power can probably move the capital ship faster, there's also the mass to consider unless we're talking a non-reaction drive, or something that involves technology that negates inertia; that capital ship CAN move faster than a fighter can... but the fighter has better acceleration, as it doesn't have as much mass to move in the first place, which means a faster ramp-up to its maximum velocity, and more maneuverability as it doesn't have as much to work against when changing vectors.

That's why you'd want to cross large stretches of space with a capital ship; the ship can carry more mass for equipment, has more room to move around in, and has bigger drives to move it faster over longer distances without having to worry about the reaction mass it carries running out as fast as a fighter probably does, which gives it better range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d
See, if someone asks you to touch a fresh material that has recentlY been exposed to outerspace for a few minutes with your bare hands, can you honestly tell me you will do it? I wouldn't rule out that the earring has 0% radiation when we don't even know what types of radiation that Vajra ship has exposed itself into. Astronomy isn't my major but I do know the universe doesn't have a "radiation free area." It's filled with all sorts of radiation coming from everywhere. Just the fact that Alto and company can see what's in front of them already tell us light rays from somewhere can reach them. Things like that.

Even if the radiation wasn't the case, I still don't think Alto would be able to save it for other reasons I already stated. When it comes to life and death, people usually blank out and concentrate on survival rather than saving other people's property.
I probably would, if reassured it wasn't overheated or so cold that it'd get my hand stuck or frozen to touch it. The issue is not whether the Vajra ship is radioactive enough inside to cause anything exposed to it to immediately become radioactive - if this is the case, then Alto shouldn't be allowed back onboard the Macross or SMS Macross Quarter, as he would be as radioactive as the earring, or at least his EX-Gear and suit would be (and he'll be dead of the radiation shortly, if it's that deadly) - but whether there's other things inside the Vajra ship that could cause contamination like biologicals... and we've seen Vajra units moving around inside Macross Frontier's Island One, without anyone worrying about bio-contamination so far. Hell, I'd have thought there'd be a decontam crew working on the Vajra when we see the truck hauling it away in Episode 2's aftermath... but we didn't, either because it'd already been there and gone, or else they weren't worrying about that, even with things like water dripping from broken bridges. So either they're not worried about Vajra biologicals, or else they decontam him sometime between the end of 6 and the beginning of Episode 7 and they don't worry about it again.

Radiation doesn't LINGER - radioactivity 'lingers' because radioactive materials will continue to radiate alpha, beta, gamma, and other radiation until they revert to a non-isotope state... but just because the Vajra ship went through an area of radioactivity doesn't mean that it'll remain radioactive if it was in there for a short time, much less the inside having to be radioactive because the outside was exposed to it... else NASA would have a lot of radioactive astronauts buried in concrete silos somewhere, kept isolated from their families due to their fathers, daughters, sons, or mothers being up in orbit.

And as I said, 'whether he had the opportunity to grab the earring and stuff it in a small compartment in his belt or in the EX-Gear's another story'. But if he didn't, he'll be in trouble with Sheryl as well as Ozma.