View Single Post
Old 2012-04-30, 22:59   Link #5
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

At work we tend to recruit from within the company and usually get people without a traditional computer science background. We're a C++ shop, so the books that I recommend to new developers are Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo and Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel. I know that Eckel has written a Java version of his Thinking book, so you might look into that (since I think C++ is not a good language to start with). I believe he also used to have downloadable versions of the books on his website.

One of my favorite books on everyday, practical "nuts and bolts" programming is Code Complete by Steve McConnell. I haven't read the second edition, but the first was a huge help to me as a younger developer.

Honestly though, the older I get the more I regret getting into this field. I burned out a long time ago, and now I am running into ageism, which is a huge issue in IT. Best to plan to make big bucks while you can, then bail by 40. I've survived three layoffs thus far, but if I get canned I am either going to have to get into project management or find another career. Unless you are a superstar (and even if you are I've seen far too many people get forced out one way or another) no one wants a programmer/developer over 40.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote