View Single Post
Old 2013-04-18, 16:51   Link #163
cronnoponno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I'm confused at the wanting for strong girls to be completely without an 'girly' side.

That spells insecure to me.
Actually I think it's more insecure to expect girls who have a personality that doesn't conform to her gender norms to have a girly side for male audiences to accept, it almost feels insulting

It feels like it's saying:

''Okay, we'll make her pretty cool, but uh don't worry! She still wants to learn how to cook for you, so uh, don't change the channel or anything!''

I'm not saying it can't be done right, but every time I see it it's pretty disappointing, in the manga Freezing it has a nice setting and the females generally appear to be in a much tougher position than normal, then the main heroine Bridget is easily made into a wet dream by being stripped enough by fanservice, but pure enough to be all ''I'm afraid to touch men! I'm so virgin teehee!'' only to get over it around the main character, to me that's like saying ''Don't worry, she's independant and strong, but she's NOT a whore, we won't give her the type of personality where she'd talk to other guys and make you jealous!'' Just because she can win in a few fights doesn't mean she has a strong and bright personality at all.

But it's hard to explain what I really like to see, and I don't expect many to actually share that idea, even girls often think it's a bad thing, but I am pretty sick of seeing it over and over again, every time I look for a manga, anime, or game with a strong female in it it falls into these tame tropes unless it's a female-oriented game and even then that's rare, and when a female character really is awesome in that way, the main male lead(or others) have to put her down for being that way, or in the case of a harem there will be a boring girl who competes with her who is flatter than a piece of paper, yet is still portrayed to be a seriously worthwhile choice (Siesta to Louise in Zero no Tsukaima, TERRIBLE example but I think it might help explain what I'm talking about.).

What she's wearing is entirely irrelevant, and if she has a cute personality that's fine, I don't really think I can actually explain it to be honest.
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote