Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-10, 08:41   Link #666
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
If they will involve medieval institutions I'll have more interest in the show than I do now... The impression I got from episode 1 is that the Demon King is the only one who has any idea about economy, and everyone else is either an idiot or a stupid, greedy warmonger. Which is would be pretty boring and annoying, not to mention unrealistic. Someone said a while ago that the setup was realistic because feudal lords would scoff at the idea of paying a tax to feed the poor - but it's not like there was no taxation in the middle ages even on feudal lords, or there were no poor relief efforts. Not that I'm expecting any serious treatment of medieval politics and economics from this show, but still, if a show is going to be praised for its treatment of economics it would be good if it had a reasonably complex and believable setup instead of an oversimplified one.
I will say pretty much all of your impression is incorrect. Very few things are as simple as you think. We do know that the rulers of one of the southern kingdoms are useing the money from the war to help feed the people and the king knows that if the war ends his people will suffer as there is not a stable food source that grows in the area. The Deamon king even states that the human kings understand that the war is what is keeping many of the ills of the world from flareing out of control. Pretty much the whole of the DL presentation is that as bad as the war is ending it will be worse unless things can be changed.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote