View Single Post
Old 2012-07-25, 18:25   Link #554
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
I mean others as players in general, ie the whole population of SAO. If someone in a clearing guild got Dual Blades, and he told his guild members the conditions, that guild would dominate the clearing group. Now imagine The Army is the guild, they could very well impose the tax in starting town in all floors.

But in the end Dual Blades is an unique skill, ordinary extra skills wouldn't give you that big of an advantage.
The clearing group for the most part isn't competing with each other. They all want to live after all. If even a solo player like Kirito gets invited to strategy meetings and boss fights, I'm pretty sure the different guilds work together too. Top players simply can't afford to be picky about their allies. We've already seen this in things like sharing maps or "they found the boss room". It's implied that most of them are working together, and to not do so would be unusual.

Think about this too: there are only a finite number of players in the game. And only a fraction of those have the potential to be a skilled clearer. And only a fraction of those have been playing long enough and efficiently enough to be high enough level to participate. It's simply impractical to replace people when they die. And they will die, even if the clearers are making steady progress. Just due to attrition the number of clearers will decrease over time. I wouldn't be surprised if the top guilds were forced to merge if the game had gone on to the end. So in that sense, letting the other clearers die for your own short-term glory is just screwing yourself in the long run, and hardly helpful in the short run either. I'm sure a few people are stupid enough to do that, but it can't be most of them since they're all experienced veterans of this death game.

I'm sure you'll want to mention the Silver Dragon Alliance who apparently try to get as many rare items as they can at the expense of others, but rare items are a limited resource. They need to monopolize them as much as possible to protect their own. Knowledge is not a limited resource. Other people knowing your secret skills doesn't hurt you at all. The more people who know it, the better off everyone is. Maybe you'll even get some new recruits from it. I can imagine selling it for a one-time profit, but keeping it a guild secret is absolutely stupid.

Quote:
I'm not trying to deny that using her as a bait is justified, all I'm trying to say is that Kirito is confident he can defend Silica until she uses her crystal. He noticed the ambush before, and after the orange players came out they were in front of them, with Kirito in front of Silica.
Kirito could snatch the crystal because no one stood between them and his sprint level was high, if an orange player tried that he'd have to get through Kirito first before taking the crystal.

Edit: I hope Silica's armour will looks like Vol. 2, after getting and equipping what she got from Kirito, her current armour looks rather plain
He was confident he could protect the Black Cats with his levels too, which is why he didn't bother telling them things. Just like, say, not telling Silica that they were being tracked by PKers. It's not like he can tell what level the other players are by looking at them, so logically it's even riskier than a dungeon that he already knows the monsters of. He felt he could do it because he was strong, and it turned out he could, but he was gambling with her life, and last time he tried that he lost. It's exactly the same situation, therefore he has learned nothing.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote