View Single Post
Old 2009-03-18, 18:15   Link #97
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
But seriously, like relentlessflame and others been saying about people complaining about being blindsided because of the fast moving context, You have to remember that they have been doing that since first episode, there is alot of context(10 Volumes) they have to put into 25 episodes in less than 30 min each. Besides I think J.C. Staff did a excellent job on doing that, and I believe that this is the best series that J.C. Staff ever did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
No, don't worry -- I knew what you meant, and I actually think that you're probably right. As an illustration, an astute commenter on one of those famous blogs pointed out today that they appreciated Toradora's theme of the difference between a crush and the various forms of love. But how can one recognize and appreciate this theme if you're at a point in life where you can't really tell the difference yourself? This is definitely a story (and adaptation) written by an adult reflecting back on high school. If you're not at a stage in life where you can similarly look back and recognize everything for what it is, I can see how it'd be harder to understand.

This episode is actually a perfect example. All the people who are like "this is so sudden", "it makes no sense", and "where did this come from"... this is so what being a teenager is like. Maybe it's because I'm the oldest with two younger siblings, so got to witness this same phenomenon? To Taiga and Ryuuji, this so makes sense and is all the world to them in this moment -- they're going to do this, and they're going to prove to everyone that they don't need anyone to tell them how to live their lives! They're going to be free from everything that holds them back! Because, mom, (dad,) just accept that I'm an adult already! But they're not. Obviously not. Painfully not. And this is absolutely going to dawn on them sooner or later. But for right now -- in this one single moment -- they've found each other, and that's all they need! World be damned! The fact that it makes no sense, is sudden, etc. is exactly the point because this is what it is to be a teenager. It only makes sense at the time and, in retrospect, was totally stupid. And it's only later on that you actually figure that out (and you spend the whole rest of your life "getting that" more and more).

So anyway, all that to say, I don't think you've over-analyzed at all -- I was just trying to give people the benefit of the doubt. In the end, it really is that sort of show that makes more sense upon reflection. And, in truth, maybe it does help if you have something to reflect about in your own life first.
I totally agree with you on that one, sometimes when we forget that we was once teenagers ourselves. For this series, you will have to read outsides the lines and reflect about it.

Last edited by Neki Ecko; 2009-03-18 at 18:50.