View Single Post
Old 2006-12-15, 22:54   Link #42
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Some of the comedy in this ep was outstanding. The scene where Ayu and Nayu (lol) first met had me in stitches. Kanon's comedy is very similar to series like Haruhi (for obvious reasons) and even Ouran, in that the jokes just sort of sneak up on you and tend to be a bit of a surprise. That's the sort of humour I really appreciate in particular and I think Kanon has executed it better than I ever could have anticipated.

I didn't think the visuals were typical Kyoto Animation in this ep, meaning it was still several tiers above the majority of other anime but not at the absolute pinnacle as some other their previous titles have managed to maintain for the entire length of the series. Actually, on second thoughts I can't remember a series of their's that didn't maintain an impossible, impeccable quality for the entire length. Kanon is a first in that respect, but I suppose it shows they are human after all... just exceptionally talented humans. And yet, despite this, the visuals were still incredible. There was one shot just before the ED rolled where Mai had her back turned to the camera. Even just the way she stood and the angle of the camera communicated a massive amount of her current emotions at that point. That KyoAni can impress me so much even on their off days is just outstanding. I don't care if I sound fanboy-ish here, I don't think anyone could ever understate the impact KyoAni are making on the entire industry by doing what they're doing.

Can Kyuuichi see the demons? I don't think it's been clearly shown if he can actually see them or not and if he can't, it hasn't been shown why he seems to be so willing to believe her. I'm troubled by this, a touch. When so much care has been taken with the rest of the story, I'm surprised that a detail like this hasn't been given any attention.