View Single Post
Old 2011-06-26, 18:25   Link #1071
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
Pretty much, except that it's not about sharing. It's about making a deal. Instead of everyone just trying to grab the banana, you're re-contextualising the scene, and see if you can find a course of action that has a better outcome for both than fighting.
I think you're relying too much on the context of the word "deal" in real life situations. If the writers named the battle "duel" instead, then people would accuse [C] of being nothing more than a Yu-Gi-Oh ripoff. As the show ends now people accuse the show of pretentiously flinging around economic terms. Indeed, since the Financial District works under different rules than the real world, a deal there is a winner takes all battle between two entrepreneurs. Doesn't mean the writers are telling the viewers to forget the real definition of an economic deal... but the word sounds cool and fits into the entire financial setting.

Quote:
Not sure they're random. They do seem to all have issues with the meaning of money (Kimimaro's and Mikuni's father seem to be the source of both).
I just go off what Masakaki says. Although, maybe I am better off doubting anything Masakaki says.

Quote:
Yeah, except that's not what I'm doing. It's not a show about finance, and it's not a shounen fighting show. I find no approach to the show under which I can enjoy it.
I did enjoy the "deals" between Kimimaro and everyone else, even if they were often short and sometimes cutoff entirely. I would call laser swords and giant explosions part of the shonen genre.

I am confident someone else besides me out there enjoyed [C] for immersing the viewer in a science fiction world, but as often the case with science fiction, experts will criticize every reference to any academic field of study. However, your problem seems to be the show sucks in general. Not much I can say there.

Quote:
Yeah, but everything happens fast and seems extraneous in the story, in the sense that trust in money isn't really an issue in the plot, or even to the characters much. The literal vs. metaphoric levels don't connect, and I'm left confused as what do with the show. (Spice and Wolf had a much better take on money=trust, I think.)
I see trust in money as the focal point of the entire anime; the idea was stated repeatedly in the final two episodes (and a few episodes before then). I think you might be asking too much of the writers to turn the metaphor of "money as trust" into some literal event - the Japanese doubted their own currency and therefore discarded the Yen in favor of the dollar. I mean, I can't really think of many other ways for a physical manifestation of the idea.

Quote:
I like Moshidora much better than [C]. It's straight forward, and everything flows from who Minami is.
Despite enjoying Moshidora, I found the show at times a bit boring, if only because the story was too straightforward. [C] adds a little bit of shonen fighting and special effects; the fantasy aspect prevents the plot from being grounded too much in the real world. Although, I don't think many people here were impressed enough by the special effects to suspend their disbelief.

Quote:
I would, if I knew how. Just when I thought I'd caught a groove it turned into a non-sequitur. I don't know how to get into it.
I don't think it's my duty to tell people how to enjoy an anime. If you can't get into [C], then maybe it's better not to put in unnecessary effort to enjoy something you inherently dislike. Still, I enjoyed [C] - and if you ask me, I will tell you why.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote