View Single Post
Old 2008-02-26, 22:41   Link #83
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Just my humble opinion, feel free to disagree:
1. I don't think it such a good idea for names to be listed next to entries during the voting phase since I think some people are persuaded to vote for the person they like more than actually choosing the work they find to be the best. Granted, several artists here have a distinct style, so it may be easy to guess who did which piece.
I don't agree with this. While Kasumi and Sephi did get a large portion of the votes, there were other big names that did not. If there was favoritism in the last contest, I didn't see it. You could argue the voting was a bandwagon event, but even then, lack of names wouldn't change much because people would be voting for their own reasons anyway. It's their votes and they'll use them however they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
2. I also think it slightly...mmmm....strange to be allowed to post possible entries for public critique since the sig sometimes ends up a work of art affected by more than the artist's original intention. Instead of the artist's own interpretation of the theme, it can end up more as the community's idea of the theme. Is this too far-fetched of an observation?
Show me an example during the last contest where this happened, and I might agree with you. I didn't see it. I saw quite a few revisions, sure, but they were based on personal feedback and cc about the sig (too much blur, too pixelated, file size too big, etc.). That's a good thing. It shows that people were trying to improve and make better entries.

The point is not to win for epeen, but to win for community building. I wonder what sigs will turn out from this theme. I wonder what 30+ sigs of the same theme, all from different artists, will look like. The winner gets to choose the theme, but we all win by making good sigs, learning, and having fun.

Last contest had quite a variety. I fully expected lots of perverted sigs and was surprised that many were tasteful and interesting to look at. I was surprised by the voting, some entries I didn't expect to get votes get quite a few, and others that I expected to did not.

Both the entry and the voting phases of the last contest got a lot of response. In addition to both threads having a large amount of discussion, I received so many PM's on various SOTM issues I had to clear my box out twice. I just started this thread a day or two ago and I've already gotten four PM's and there's four pages of entries...and we've got almost three weeks to go before voting. In short, I *have* to make this thread, because we *need* a central spot for this contest.

Like I said in the last contest, I'm not going to handicap people. If you want to compete, step up to the challenge and make the best sig you can. If you are worried that a "bigger name" is going to steal the thunder, show your stuff and steal it back.