View Single Post
Old 2010-01-15, 20:14   Link #910
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The thing about the TV series was it was too heavy-handed. Suspension of disbelief, for me, was utterly shattered because every goddamned character was beyond fucked up to such a point where it stopped feeling real.

I got to the point where I was just laughing hysterically every time something bad happened to Shinji. He's an unbelievably amped-up Cosmic Plaything, to the point where it's just not realistic.

Not to mention every other character had a pile of neuroses and twenty thousand tons of emotional baggage, it was just numbing. There was no "control" character in NGE TV to compare the fucked-up-ness to. Everyone had skeletons in the closet. Everyone had some deep, dark past.

The Rebuild films changed this. Shinji's angst is pared back to a much more believable level. Asuka is five hundred times less annoying and much more badass in general. The new character, Mari Illustrious Makinami, is a Crazy Awesome Blood Knight, as well as trying to unseat Misato as the resident Miss Fanservice.

The movies are just... better so far.

What I ought to do, especially once all 4 movies are out, is watch the TV series, then the movies, and really try to nail this down.
The "cosmic plaything" I'd have to agree somewhat; which is why I complained about the plot. I didn't really find anyone unbearingly annoying save for Gendo and Ritsuko until near the end. Though suspension of belief collapsed somewhere along the way, particularly past episode 20.

Actually there were control characters. The classmates, especially Hlkari were pretty normal. Yes, they were relatively minor, but they did have that point. Their disappearance near the end signifies the start of insanity for the main cast.,

But it seems like rebuild seem to offer something diffrent rather than being a simple rehash, so that's something I can look forward too.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews