View Single Post
Old 2004-06-12, 06:47   Link #142
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
I felt like sharing this but didn't want to make a new thread for it. Sort-of relevent to this thread because it regards the (really pimpin') computer I built myself last summer. My mother sent me the following e-mail yesterday:

(Colby is my little brother)

Tyler: Last Thursday Colby announced that your computer
was 'fried'. We got a new power supply unit as the symptom was
that it just did not turn on. When that did not work, we got a new
mother board, processcor and four new fans. I have now spent
450.00 and Colby says it still is not working right.
What do you want me to do?

Please email us back...Colby is very sorry this happened, and we
will never know why, but he did say there were exposed wires from
a couple fans that were touching the case. This morning he
installed a virus protection thing that came with the new
processcor and it immediately said a hacker had just messed with
the system. (?)

Oh how I wept after reading this. I KNEW I should have never let my little brother touch my computer and fill it with all his online games and crap!!! Ohh my poor poor baby!

Does anyone have any idea what happened? It sounds like a short circuit, especially if the power supply didn't work. But could fan wires cause that? (They were Panaflow L1A's if that matters at all). Though the wires were touching, I'm pretty sure they were in their casing.

Dammit, and I was looking so forward to going home to be with my beautiful machine again (and then installing Linux on her)
That's too little information to deduce the problem although I don't think it is a short circuit. (same reason as SiL Eighty - you would have been really unlucky if the isolation of the wires were damaged beforehand).

Just to cheer you up: 2 weeks ago me and some of my friends went to Denmark to celebrate our graduation. When my one of my friends came home, he smelled something burnt and opened the computer case just to see inside covered in a lot of ash. He even assumed that there was a small fire going on in the case... Well, in the end it turned out that only the PSU got killed (lucky bastard) but his room is still smelling of something burnt. (Just to cheer you up even more: My computer did not boot up when I came home, too. But nothing serious, just a damn HDD issue...) Coincidence? I don't think so...
Oh, well, both of us look healthier now since we didn't sit in front of the computer all the time
Hmm, Roots, you couldn't have been in Denmark, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
Well Im going to get one of those all in one cd/dvd R burners so I still have 3 of the 5.25 slots for the HDD's. ATM i only plan on using 3 HDD's and maybe adding in a 4th later and running RAID 0 on 2 of them. As for cooling the HDD's I dont know. Ill see how hot it gets and Ill go from there. I can always figure out a way to mount more fans in the case.
Actually you already gave the answer yourself on how to cool your HDDs

Spoiler for 5,25'' fan:

Believe me, your HDDs will most likely become very hot. My Maxtor is about 45°C (sorry, can't be bothered to look up the °F value ) when idling. That is with open case and without any fans. Since you are using 3-4 HDDs, the heat will stack up, I guess. So I recommend you those 5,25'' cooler units which can cool about 3 HDDs at once - just look for a lot of cfm.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote