View Single Post
Old 2012-09-22, 02:27   Link #279
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Wait, are we talking about what happened in Episode 10, or something different in Episode 11? I was confused by the original comment myself.

(And yeah... it'd be nice if novel readers would ease up a bit on "oh, some anime viewer made a speculative comment; I absolutely must provide them with every detail they missed from not reading the novel!" It's not like people couldn't read the novels themselves if they really wanted to; it's not a "unique skill". If people haven't read it thus far, we can assume they want to watch the anime without novel info.)
Wait, was there a part in this episode where she wanted to get laid (I seriously can't remember)?
EDIT: I think he was refering to ep 10, but might have wanted to imply something with sex->marriage->happy times.
EDIT2: No wait, I think something with battle->announce together forever->sex->marriage->happy times was rushed and the 'announce together forever'->sex was a bit of a wtf.

Double post, but it is on a slightly different note from before but will be more on topic, I promise.
I find Kirito & Asuna's relationship rather interesting but I don't think they're a proper romantic relationship, yet (despite what others are saying).

Asuna loves him because of the large influence he's had in her life in the VR world (because she's clearly doing it wrong):
Asuna: "Food's not that tasty is it?" -> The cream on the bread -> Takes up cooking skill
Kirito: "I suggest you join a guild" -> Joins a guild
Kirito: "Don't overdo it, relax" -> Sleeps for the day

Asuna's "I don't know what to do if you had died" makes sense because she's a practically a lost puppy in the VR world.
Compound this with the whole Kirito-Kuradeel & Kirito-Heathcliff fight over Asuna incidents (what girl doesn't like a guy defending her honor?), I think it's clear she feels she owes him.

As for Kirito, I honestly didn't see any (or can't remember - this is where other viewers comes in an makes a rebuttal) what made Kirito love Asuna.
Looking back at ep 10, Kirito says he will use his body for her purpose.
Well, that's logical in the typical man honor code sense (or whatever the correct term is). He now owes her an enormous debt, because she saved him so his idea of repayment is his life in pledge to her service.
She's says she'll leave him alone, so the kiss is his way of binding the contract and ensure she doesn't leave.

They sleep in separate beds despite being "married", and when Asuna whispers she loves him, she is relieved when he didn't hear her. Clearly, they're not on the same page in terms of their relationship.

In this episode, he questions whether their relationship exists in the real world, which is really to ask, what experience(s) still counts in the real world, despite being in a VR world?
As it stands, they believe their lives are on the line, thus their debts to each other are real. But on the off chance no ones actually died, what becomes of their relationship since their entire relationship was based on their debt to each other?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-25 at 20:10. Reason: edit rather than double-posting
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote