View Single Post
Old 2008-08-14, 16:10   Link #99
sirtoti

But I don't see it as a mistake. When you see the advertisement of *Malibu Coconut's Rhum a couple of years ago, there were cubans having fun in the beach and "taking it easy". ¿Do you think anyone thought that it was racism because they were characterizing cubans as "lazy people"?¿Or do you think it was a "good joke"?
It's easy. If you want to give importance to something, you can. And if the Media do, you follow it even if you don't even know which is the exact situation.
In england there's a word that is not very used, but it's very applied, "euphemism". TRying to not offend someone is not like not saying anything. I'm very tanned, and my friends call me "blacky" in spanish. ¿Do you think they're racist for that? Because there's a guy from Congo within us, and he also calls me "blacky" because my friends do. And we began calling him "milky" because he's absolutely pitch black. But as a joke, because we laugh together about our names.
Of course, if anyone hears me calling him milky, this person can think I'm racist, but... ¿why he's with us, laughing with us, going out at night with us? If I call idiot to a friend while laughing, or even son of a bitch, he's not going to get angry or offended. The way you say it is what makes the diference between jokes and insults. Words are just words, but it's meaning changes according to the way you say it.
That's why I say this picture is out of context. ¿Have you seen the advertisement? ¿What happens if this is the final frame of the recording and they're saying "come to china, it's the best"?
You don't know it, so you figure out it's done in a silly way
sirtoti is offline   Reply With Quote