View Single Post
Old 2008-04-13, 18:15   Link #79
chrno_the_sinner

Oh please. I try to be nice and offer an honest critique, and get flamed at right away. I have no intention of being rude and I truly do appriciate what you're doing. I mean no disrespect.

The only way I was comparing to Tsukihime was in the way the translation process was done. The Mirrormoon patch reads like a novel, whereas the Umineko reads as a translation. It's not bad, and I can get the meaning, but I don't get any sense of a writing style.

Yes, NisioisiN, Nasu, and Ryuukishi07 all have different writing styles. I can tell what they are from the different translations/localisations. I'm having difficulty feeling out what Ryuukishi07's style is though.

Something that Andrew Cunningham (translator of the Boogiepop novels, plus a LOT more) said about translating novels stuck with me. It's just not enough to simply translate a novel. You have to rework it so it has a flow and structure to it as well. You basically have to rewrite it in the Japanese author's style, only in English.

As I stated before, if it were an anime or manga translation, it would be damn near perfect. But a novel needs a different outlook on translation.

Since I'm not at home at the moment, I can't really point out any specifics. It's just something I noticed about the translation in general. You can't expect to release a translation without being critiqued in some way.
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote