View Single Post
Old 2008-07-15, 17:56   Link #45
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
And crap to put out

If you are dieting correctly, you should be going to the bathroom at LEAST once per day if not more, and I don't mean to take a piss. This goes double for all the hardgainers we have here.

I'm a mesomorph (normal build), 6"1' at 149 lbs. I should take in at least 3500 calories per day to gain significant mass. It's hard to work off of numbers alone, so I'll give some food examples to illustrate just how much this is. This isn't what I eat. But hopefully, most of you have eaten these at one point in your lives and have some idea how much food this is.

KFC: ~13 extra crunchy thighs (the most fatty piece they sell)
Pizza Hut: 2 large pizzas
Carl's Jr: 3.5 Bacon Cheddar 6 Dollar Burgers
Subway/Quiznos: 3.5 Foot-long subs
Chipotle: 2 burritos

Keep in mind that most of these foods are extremely high in fat and because of that, you don't need to eat very much to have a ton of calories. Eating at home, this equates to about 3 lbs of steak or 5 lbs of chicken in terms of protein.

This is for me, personally. Any hardgainer needs much, much more. I literally cannot overemphasize the importance of diet.
Indeed. Your shit should smell worse than it ever has before. You should also be intaking a lot of liquids to keep your muscles pumped up (To avoid confusion, this is only during the mass-building phase. Most builders take pretty drastic measures to remove water from their body during cutting.).

It's fairly difficult to keep yourself on a strict diet, but there are a lot of meal replacement kits out there that can help you out. They're very inexpensive for a sports supplement, and some of them don't even taste that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
Let's say i'd like to start doing a daily walk. How long should i walk? 1 Hour? 2 Hour? Jogging? "Fast walking"? Running? Uphill? Downhill?
I'm really not taking good care of my legs at the moment, besides running should be good for the rest of the body too, right? Though i already do several excercises for the upper body.
If you're building, 10 minutes of HIIT three days a week should suffice. Brad Pitt only did one day of cardio (1 hour I presume) per week for Fight Club, and he's an ectomorph.

I'm not a fan of running or treadmill since it applies a lot of tension on your knees. Ellipticals are low impact and burn calories faster (plus you can add resistance), so I'd suggest those if you have access.

If you're currently building upper body, but have been neglecting lower body, don't forget that you will hit a plateau if your lower body fails to keep up.

On another note, and from personal experience, I had neglected my lower back for two years, while I built up my upper body. I first noticed problems when driving three hours every weekend to see my girlfriend. I would have to place a bottle of water behind my back to give it support, and even then, after the drive, I would have burning pains for a few hours. A visit to a sports medicine doctor told me that my lower back was underdeveloped and was actually being crushed by the weight of the muscles on my upper body. I started doing deadlifts regularly since then, and haven't had problems since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidified View Post
From what range of weights should i buy? (in lbs)
Annoying as it is, only you know the answer to that.

I wish there were a low-cost answer to this, but there really isn't.

Take yourself to a gym for a week or two and benchmark yourself on a variety of exercises.

The problem here is that your first few weeks will result in immense growth. You'll start seeing results quickly if you're working hard. After the first few weeks though, things will start moving slowly.

So I wouldn't want to suggest you buy 15 lb weights for bicep curls, only to have you outgrow them completely in a month.

It's always very difficult to invest in a home gym without buying a full set of free weights, which is very expensive. And even with a full set of free weights, there are still vital exercises which are either impossible or very difficult to perform, such as squats or leg presses.

I would still suggest getting a gym membership. Beg for one if you need to. Use your allowance, or forfeit your birthday presents.

The other good thing about gyms is that there's people there. You can see what other people are doing and ask for advice. It's also a lot safer.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote