View Single Post
Old 2013-01-17, 23:39   Link #35
Mandarake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The problem is it isn't just screwing up one in a million times. I think that society is only starting to see the problems inherent in that system. The mental stress constantly being monitored puts on people is itself creating crime. Is it any better to exchange people who snap under that pressure for those who committed crimes for other reasons? Hardly a preventative system that pushes people into committing crimes.

In the end what is really being gained here? I suppose this proves that every system has its pros and cons and that's something to consider. But really not much to praise here either. Like in the factory scenario loopholes are always going to be found and while it looks like society is working well under this system the fractures are already popping up.
I don't see any evidence that the monitoring causes people to commit crime. I may change my mind if you point to a specific incident where the monitoring, in and of itself, pushed an otherwise law abiding individual into criminality. From what I've seen thus far, there was always something else besides Sybil that was putting people on edge. The only stress Sybil may add is the threat of exposing the criminal mental state that the individual wants to conceal.

In the first place, the monitoring is never random. That is what I gathered from the director's "human-in-the-loop" explanation. Dominators are not attached to drones to constantly screen the populace. You will know well ahead of time whenever you will have an encounter with Sybil, and can prepare yourself for it. You can even plan your life to minimize or avoid contact with Sybil. That is, unless an enforcer suddenly points a dominator at you, and even then you were probably already up to no good.

Last edited by Mandarake; 2013-01-18 at 00:22. Reason: For clarity