View Single Post
Old 2013-01-18, 09:02   Link #57
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandarake View Post
Obviously not. But let me turn it around and ask an equally obvious question: don't you think an artist like Urobuchi would relish the creative challenge of making an audience root for a system that on its face is morally repugnant?

We don't need Urobuchi to tell us that a system that curtails creative expression, limits lifestyle choices and deprives one of liberty or even life based solely on mental propensity is perverse. That's just stone cold obvious, and if that was all there was to this story, then Urobuchi is not showing us anything new.

It follows that a protagonist that unflinchingly upholds such an abhorrent system should instantly strike us as an amoral idiot and lose all our empathy after no more than half an episode.

But Akane, Kougami and the rest of the enforcers are nothing if not loyal agents of such a system. Yet here we are halfway into the season and we still care deeply about what they do and what happens to them and we very much want them to succeed, even if that would consitute a victory for the ostensibly evil Sybil system.

How did Urobuchi manage this?

There is something to the fact that the villains are truly monstrous. But if it were just a matter of rooting for the lesser evil Psychopass would not be as compelling as it is.

I submit that Urobuchi has somehow managed to create a context that makes Sybil appear worthy of the enforcers' obedience and support, despite our deeply held contrary beliefs. If it isn't because Sybil actually works as advertised and delivers benefits somewhat commensurate to what it demands, then tell me what else it could be.
I kinda agree with you on this one. It would be an interesting twist to have the "good guys" be a corrupt, overbearing legal system, with the possible overall message, "be careful of where our own society is going".

But given Rina's stance, and of course the fact that the System was unable to judge Makishima, I stand by my belief that the System is ultimately also a villain here, whether or not Makishima is somehow affiliated with them (although I've actually been wondering that for a while). Heh, whether or not making Sybil "the good guys" by default would be good writing, I can't quite see Urobuchi making even a default hero out of a legal system that would permaban his works (and probably stick him in that maximum-security prison ).