View Single Post
Old 2013-03-27, 16:25   Link #119
Ryu_Hirakashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
This is one topic I'm honestly tired of seeing, but I can't help but share a few thoughts on the matter.

First of all, I don't understand why there would be such a strictly defined dichotomy between "cartoons" and "anime". They are simply alternative labels for the animation medium, which no single culture has a monopoly on. Any other noticeable differences that might exist are the result of differences in the application of the medium. As such, while the medium takes many forms, there is still a significant overlap between trends in various cultures. In other words, this issue is not much a question of defining terms as it is a question of statistics.

In that respect, Japanese animation is better received than its Western equivalent because of its wider demographic reach. In Japan, animation is a well-established entertainment medium that is accessible to people of all ages. As a result, their animation covers a myriad of different genres thanks to the medium's general appeal. In contrast, Western animation is targeted towards a more specific demographic within the younger age groups, with a more niche market for adult audiences. Just from this, it's pretty easy to see how "cartoons" are often perceived to be for children. In terms of sheer diversity and variety, Japanese animation tends to win over Western animation.

Of course, one can always argue that recent hits like Avatar: The Last Airbender put the West on par with Japan's animation, but these are often few and far in between. Until the West can can treat animation as a medium in itself rather than as a mere genre, I'm not sure it can maximize the use of its animation.
This post sums up my exact feelings on the subject. I used to like disney films as a kid, but as an adult I find them childish in their delivery. I outgrew disney's type of storytelling, because I realised that only my childish self enjoyed them.

Over the years, there have been very few animated movies,tv series, or direct home releases that my current self would enjoy. They exist for certain. I'd be a fool to say that they don't exist.

The problem with this situation is that you can enjoy animation in this manner so long as you stay in your basement and not tell anybody about it. American society isn't very tolernt of views outside the "norm".
Ryu_Hirakashi is offline   Reply With Quote