View Single Post
Old 2003-11-16, 06:18   Link #1
sleepytrance
Inactive Member

Do you think Bittorrent is evil?

Mostly looking for the oppinions of fansubbers in general, but anyone else is good to hear from.

The reason why I question bittorrent, is that it has brought the fan-sub scence to a much larger audience. mIRC was complicated for too many people and never hit as large of an audience that bittorrent has. These days big named series like Naruto seems to get thousands of dl on the first hour of release.

Licensing companies now feel a greater rush to license products and try to stop the distribution to the anime audience. After-all, thousands of people getting anime for free is a huge loss of money for these licensing companies.

I am with many out there who has felt the frustration of watching a series, and just as it is about to get good or end (hikaru no go), it gets licensed. I don't know the history of licensing as well as others do, so I don't know exactly how much faster companines hase been licensing anime. I just have the feeling that the more popular Bittorrent gets, the faster licensing groups will try to take action... Or in certain cases (ghost in the shell) it will get license before animation production has even finished.

The ease of use and popularity is such a double edge sword... Everytime I go on bittorrent, I pray that I don't see Naruto on the "License List" *knock on wood*. I know series will continue to be fan-sub even if they are licensed... But have any of you tried to get One Piece episodes (epi 1-60 easy... 60+ hard)?

Maybe its time I start learning how to use mIRC...
sleepytrance is offline   Reply With Quote