View Single Post
Old 2011-07-11, 23:34   Link #23169
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Knox actually gave the reason for disallowing Chinamen. Namely, they were stereotypically portrayed as being "over - equipped in the matter of brains, and under - equipped in the matter of morals." Which, amusingly sounds a lot like Erika. Perhaps that's why Knox's 5th isn't included.
That was one reason. It was a mix of both, but yea, that's probably the particular reason why Knox's 5th wasn't allowed. It still demonstrates my point of the Spirit of the Rule being predominant over it's literal wording.

Quote:
Regarding whether Shannon can be the culprit without breaking Dine's 11th. At one point Dlanor stated that while secret passages would violate Knox's 3rd. They'd still be allowed under Knox's 8th if they were foreshadowed. I assume Dine's 1st override Dine's 11th in the same manner. To me, Beatrice's letter is enough to remove the protection Dine's 11th grants from all of the servants on the island.
It's generally accepting that the rules of both sets trump each other in numerical order. 1 trumps 2 trumps 3 trumps 4...