View Single Post
Old 2009-10-03, 23:29   Link #58
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billborden View Post
Slightly off topic, but...I'm confused.

Fansubs are bad; you shouldn't be watching/downloading them. Oh, BTW, here's Season Two of a series to watch on CR. No, we haven't released the first season so you can see it legitimately. Why on Earth would anyone want to watch season one before season two?

Am I the only one who sees a flaw in this train[wreck] of thought?
In other cases where this has happened, they have typically gone back and put up the first season as well (I expect to see it appear over the next little while), but they still focus on simulcasting what's new to maintain the immediacy. It's not as if they're not aware of the reality for most people up to this point in time; heck, until recently, their own site was a place where people could watch streams of fansubs! So they know that much of their audience will have watched fansubs before, but they're still trying to present themselves as a legal alternative going forward. Whether it will work out or not remains to be seen, of course, but they have to start somewhere.

In other words, they know that you've already seen the first season on fansub anyway because they didn't have their service back then, so what matters is what you do from now on. It's only flawed if you insist things need to be totally black-and-white, and I think they're smarter than that. Their target audience is fansub viewers.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote