Thread: Online friends
View Single Post
Old 2011-02-25, 01:30   Link #53
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
And if they had...less than noble intentions, why travel all the way over to where I live, or why have me come there? If you're going to rob or rape or kill (or whatever) someone, why not do it locally? Why spend months talking to them on the internet if that's all you're going to do at the end?
Because some people get off on "stalking their prey" and they're less likely to get caught if they target an area further away from where they live. There are actually plenty of reasons to make it worthwhile that come to mind pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Yeah... I'll be glad when this line of thinking finally starts to die away. Unless I'm mistaken and everyone that posts online is secretly a serial killer rapist, I think there's way too many people that have this kind of paranoia.
Well, if you would notice, I didn't really relegate my paranoia to people you meet online. I don't trust people I meet in real life first, either. I mean, I would never meet with anyone in private without having known them for at least... two years? And then I probably wouldn't eat or drink anything they offered me. No, I'm not kidding.

This is probably because I cannot read people, so I never know what people are about to do or say unless I have had a very long time to learn their behavioral patterns. It pretty much impossible to learn them if all I can do is read text, so there is no way that would ever consider the idea that I "know" anybody that I just talked to online.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote