View Single Post
Old 2012-04-13, 09:29   Link #35
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Manga: JoJo's Bizarre Adventures

About EIGHT parts, each of them being a different generation of JoJo, related to the Joestar family, close or far. What to say about it? It's crazy, and absolutely fabulous. And those two adjectives can't even begin to describe it. It started as a drama in the first generation betfore going into gothic horror. Then the second part is part shounen and part pulp adventure a la Indiana Jones. The third part, the most popular and the more well known thanks to the OAVs, is a straight adventure shounen with a twist, the Stands, one of the best ideas in shounen ever. The Stands have influenced, at least, Persona and Shaman King. Then we get part 4, a thriller with a serial killer as the main antagonist; Part 4 is my personal favorite of all JoJos. Then Part 5 have an unexpected protagonist and is centered around the mafia. Part 6 takes place in a prison in the USA, in 2012. Part 7 and part 8, I'll let you discover it.

Anime: Saint Seiya (I mean the original series)

It don't have awesome plot twists, its character types may be nothing to write home about, but as a "shounen" meant in the "action adventure targetted at teenagers and kids", it remains my favorite because it feels the most shounen-y of all shounen. Like "if it fails, keep trying until you succeed", "even if the foe bitchslap you and gloat over how weak you are, never give up", and know what? It's one of the few shounen that did not have a power creep like those that plagued Dragon Ball. Maybe nostalgia is clouding me, but now that I am watching Omega alongside the original series to see if the original stand the test of time, I can understand what Marcel Proust meant with the taste of the madeleine.