View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 22:52   Link #529
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
You can preview the next episode with chapter 16.

Anyway, as for the discussion about physical violence in this series. Or at least, the incidents where Shizuku has gotten harmed on account of Haru's rowdiness. First of all, yes, I agree/do believe that those instances are supposed to portray Shizuku as a strong/independent character. Shizuku's reactions to incidents like those are supposed to portray that despite not being as physically strong as Haru, she can stand up to him. And as for whether Shizuku really can stand up to Haru, not only in a physical sense, but emotionally, interpersonally, I believe that should not even be under question.

Then as for the secondary issue that people keep raising that Haru is just too violent for them to like, or support in a relationship with Shizuku. I have to wonder what they really think the alternatives are. Haru is a broken individual, yes. However, he is not completely beyond conscience or rationality. Even within this episode you saw that although Haru has unhealthy impulses, he is aware that he has to restrain them. In particular, hasn't it been indicated that Haru admires/perceives Shizuku as his saviour/"hero" because she helps him restrain them?

If Shizuku is a demonstrably positive influence on Haru, then what do you think would be achieved by taking her away from him? Shizuku herself is not acting out of charity or any misguided fantasy, so why not trust her to handle herself with her own judgement? To say that Haru should be wrested away from Shizuku, overriding the person in question's own decisions, when Haru's behaviour has been portrayed as understood to be negative and unhealthy even by Haru himself is to suggest that redemption is impossible even when people are willing or even desperate to try for it. And that is an even more troubling perspective for me than treating this series as cheap fantasy.
I couldn't find words to express it earlier but you are correct. Haru cannot grow as a character without Shizuku, his violent tendency lessen as the series progress from the beginning. Many say he should be able to develop a better behavior, if that was so he would have done so by now even back from middle school. Shizuku is the only one who can help Haru is the results shows later on.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote