View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 13:27   Link #49
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The difference is that for young teenagers friendship is the most important value. But when you find Love and when you make a family, while friendship remains an important value it comes to a second or third place.

The result is that while you might find positive portrayals of friendship in adult oriented media, it rarely is the main focus.
Bingo!

I dread to think that in this day and age, the priorities are almost like this

1: Work
2: Close loved ones (Wife/Husband, Children, perhaps add mother/father)
3: Colleagues/Friends
4: Rest of the family

Now, I have friends that go back almost 30 years that are still as much friends now as then
(so not the class of '89 or facebook type of friends)
but as time went by, even we found ourselves in a world where friendship gets the least devoted time

"We" aren't roaming the streets anymore,
"I" have got work to do "He" has a new baby coming, "He" is busy balancing his selfemployment with the time spent with his wife, "I" have to get my act together

The group mentality has been replaced by individual goals/activities

But as for the "one man against the world" in shows targetted for an older audience isn't that strange either
About the time after we've become adolescents, we're faced with making stands more serious than not sharing your candy with your sister, or not letting your friend ride your new bike
Decisions that have more impact than deciding which GI-Joe figure you want to play with most
The things you didn't agree upon at puberty have become trivial, and situations in the "grown up world" may affect (your) lives for longer than a season or schoolyear
Most of us may have been in a "me against the world" situation
Animes orientated towards this premise are there to give us the feeling (fantasy) that sometimes it's worth and possible to go against all odds

When you're younger, it's you and your friends fighting the world, when you're older you'll often find yourself outnumbered, without backup