View Single Post
Old 2010-12-29, 02:29   Link #100
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
We know that Kimimaro was Juugo’s only friend, confidant and even (somewhat) conscience (WWKD ~ What Would Kimimaro Do?). That is a framework for a character definition. (And yes, we all know Kishimoto never cared enough to expand on that framework, so complaining about it ad nauseum is getting a little boring.)
We know nothing about Juugo. He's a vapid soulless character who's only traits are being the source of the curse mark transformation (not a character trait) and that he suffers from some sort of psychosis (which was kinda interesting, but fell flat).

As for his relationship with Kimimaro, so what? I don't care about Juugo's character nor do I care if his story is resolved (if there is anything to resolve). And why should I not complain about Kishi's terrible writing?

Quote:
Lee is just a one-dimensional Gai-clone as useless as Juugo
You and I clearly have not been reading the same manga. Lee very much admires Gai, but he is by no means his clone. They have different personalities and behavioral traits.

Quote:
the only difference is Lee has had 2 fights (that he has lost) versus Juugo's mini-battles (that he has lost). Hell, the simple fact that we've never seen Juugo go all out makes me more interested (from a purely visceral level) in a fight between Juugo and Kimimaro than anything Lee would do (let's face it, anything Lee would do in such a fight would simply be what we've already seen Gai do in his stupid battle with Kisame, at least with Juugo, while he would just use his transformations, there could at least be some variance we do not know about (or something else along those lines).
Why are you being so superficial about this? I love how you just write-off Lee's fights (one of which being the best fight in the series, mind you). But again, why should I care about Juugo going all out when I don't even care about his character in the first place? And as for your comment about him using variance, who's to say that Lee won't bring some variance to the table?

Quote:
That being said isn't "Who cares" a fairly silly question? Obviously I do (to an extent), as do some of the others that have mentioned the potential battle. True, we care more from the perspective of simply finishing the various characters stories (insert generic Nobodyman comment concerning Kishimoto's writing abilities ), but in the end that is far more than simply wishing to see Lee win against a former opponent...
How is it possible to emote with Juugo? How is that even possible?

Quote:
I do not deny that there is more emotional depth behind some of the other familial match-ups, but Juugo v. Kimimaro (whether you think their relationship was "deep" or not) does clearly fall in the same spectrum as the aforementioned match-ups (or it at least has some emotional relevance, unlike Lee v. Kimimaro).
Your thinking in very narrow terms. What you consider "emotional" is, "Ah! I must face my old friend whom I deeply cared for and am reluctant to fight against, but I must also free him from his zombie prison!" How about the emotional concept of, "Haha! I will fight my old foe from my past and I will show how much stronger I've become by defeating him!"

Quote:
Never claimed it was good, and I never claimed I liked the lack of detail. Rather, I said Lee v. Kimimaro was less "emotional" than Juugo v. Kimimaro. Whether I like the resulting match-up or not has nothing to do with my statement concerning the issue.
You know, I've just realized something. Who cares if it's emotional? Why should we care about the supposed "emotions" between two characters we know nothing about?
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote