View Single Post
Old 2011-01-03, 17:54   Link #198
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
I don't see the problem with it being signed by Maria. In Battler's game in ep 8, Yasu-Beatrice states that the bottle messages were her attempt to emulate Agatha Christie in her game with Battler.

My assumption from this was that in Yasu-Beatrice's scenarios, she wanted to cast the message writer/narrator as her accomplice Maria as a red herring and to share the fun, or perhaps to share some credit in the creation of her fantasy scenario. And as misdirection, it served its purpose, if not in the manner she intended.

That said, I'm not done reading Twilight just yet. I'm just at the entrance to Bern's Marvelous Mysterious Maze of Perplexing Purple Proclamations.

For my part, at the point where I'm at right now, I really feel like I'm getting a sense of what Ryuukishi07 is trying to accomplish, and it's actually rather moving, if so. If as R07 says, many mysteries do ignore the "heart", the true whydunnit, in favor of whodunnit/ howdunnit, then Umineko is a tale of the romance and fantasy that coyly lurks behind the surface of the mystery genre (perhaps behind the mystery creation process itself and/or the minds of the readers exploring the work), the magical realm of possibilities before the cat box is opened in those missing last ten pages. I really like the echoes of the events that reverberate throughout the eight arcs and the illustrative way concepts and rules are anthropomorphized or otherwise brought to life. It's not so much either a mystery or fantasy, but an illustration of appreciation for both. The "whydunnit" doesn't simply refer to the culprit, but the author of the mystery him/herself (whether in or out of the story).

I have thus far found the work incredibly engaging. I hope I'll continue to feel so after turning the final "page".
I figured it was a red herring from Yasu, especially when it was stated in EP7 that "And Then There Were None" directly influenced Yasu's behavior (this would inspire the message bottles). But I didn't know it was put in EP8, sorry about that Maybe it was a bad example.

I forgot to consider the "heart" of the mystery, anyway. And I certainly do like thinking of Umineko as an appreciation of the "whydunnit". It adds another layer of complexity to the whole. Thanks for that, man I can't wait until I'll be able to read EP8. Even if the ending does disappoint me.
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote