View Single Post
Old 2007-08-09, 06:04   Link #51
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I love driving. Unfortunately, with the costs of driving and owning a car being as astronomical as they are in Singapore, I had to scrap by car about a year ago.

As for left-hand vs right-hand, well......it all depends from your point of view doesn't it? As far as I'm concerned, I'm driving on the right side of the car while the rest of the world is cuckoo for driving on the wrong side. Same logic applies for which side of the road you happen to drive on.

Quote:
I dislike the notion of my life depending on my (barely nonexistent) reflexes and coordination. Furthermore, I dislike even more the notion of my life depending on other unqualified people's reflexes and coordination.
Curiously enough, I've become so used to driving that I often find myself "auto-piloting" the car. That is, I don't consciously think of driving the car -- it all comes from reflex. This has led to many situations where I ended up going the opposite direction I wanted to go!

Same goes for anticipating other drivers' behaviour while on the road. I can often "tell" in advance which idiot is going to do something stupid, and take defensive action to avoid an accident. Of course, this is by no means full-proof -- reckless driving is something you can never avoid all of the time. If only it were -- so many needless deaths could be prevented as a result.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote