Thread: Licensed Eve no Jikan (Time of Eve)
View Single Post
Old 2008-10-05, 17:22   Link #67
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life
The same cannot be said about Chobits and in so far I cannot understand TinyRedLeaf's comparison. Behind all window-dressing and beating around the bush, the viewer is of course supposed to imagine Chii as a sex toy/slave.
The similarity to Chobits is purely superficial. I did qualify that it was the first impression that came to my mind after viewing the first episode. That said, Chobits and Time of Eve both set up a scenario where androids have become commonplace and real people are starting to treat them like fellow human beings. In the end, Chobits explored the premise from an ecchi angle (no thanks to Clamp — they ruined what could otherwise have been a very interesting show), while Time of Eve stays truer to Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
It is interesting that everyone made a big fuss out of Gonzo's simultaneous releases but no one cares to pay attention to this one, and would rather grab the fansubs instead.
I do care, but I didn't know that the studio decided to release its own subtitles. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi
Meh either way its nice that the creators atleast take an interest in their English fanbase.
Let's hope it's the start of a growing trend. It's about time that producers learn to use the Internet as a marketing tool, rather than viewing it as a threat to be destroyed.

============

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiura
After the household androids take root in society, a question arises: How should people treat these robots? Perhaps society as a whole needs some guidelines. In response, society advocates that people treat robots differently from humans. This stance is a practical one, and stands apart from issues like human dignity or bioethics... People have created androids as an extension of household appliances; and since these androids resemble humans, when they proliferate throughout society unexpected problems arise. So, what should people do?
Quote:
So regardless of whether or not we create androids in the future, in fact we're already halfway there when it comes to substituting in machines for our own work. I think human evolution — spiritual evolution — is in part being conscious of using machines to substitute for human activities, and being aware that robots/androids are an extension of that substitution process.
Except that if that were all Time of Eve is supposed to be about, then the premise is itself quite stale. But since it appears that Time of Eve pays homage to Asimov and Philip K. Dick, I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised.

Quote:
In a situation where there are actually robots and androids, some people accept them as a matter of course and treat them like it's no big deal; some people treat them completely like household appliances; other people treat them very much like humans; and some people would like to treat them kind of like humans, but can't because they're self-conscious other people's opinions. That scene was the result of my attempt to portray lots of different types of people.
The above, on the other hand, is what makes this show particularly promising for me. As androids and humans explore their relationships with one another, they gradually develop new rules to extend the Three Laws. In essence, we're witnessing the birth of a new set of ethics, a new set of rules.

To me, the key moment of Episode Two is when the mysterious agent(?) said: "Break the rule, and you won't have a good time here. Or rather, there is no point in being here at all."

The irony of the situation is very striking — in Eve's Cafe, there are rules that restrict even as they liberate humans and androids alike.

If you extend that thought a bit further, given the difficulty in distinguishing android and humans, you can't help but notice that there are humans who are more robotic than their household appliances! In a society like Japan's, where people are behave according to strict social rules, and often hide their true emotions behind an emotionless facade, it's deliciously satirical that some androids are more "alive" than their masters.

This, to me, is what makes Time of Eve an exciting take on an otherwise stale and familiar premise.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote