View Single Post
Old 2012-05-17, 20:43   Link #13
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
I'm 100% sure it's not the latest edition. It's just the previous book given another publication run but this time with a special anime related sash. The old cover is intact underneath the anime one. I believe the book was actually out of print for a long time prior the anime. The novels sold extremely poorly, so it boggles my mind why KyoAni chose this book to make a show. If amazon dates can be relied upon, I'm fairly sure this new run was introduced to coincide with the anime.

I'm actually against the anime cover myself, but I like the bonus material on the inside of it. The book itself doesn't have any of the trappings of a light novel, no illustrations, style is not light novel style (e.g. the book is not written in first person etc.), so the addition of a light novel cover is extremely jarring to say the least. High schoolers who would have been the audience for this book, pick it up and feel that it's a bait and switch. Adults who are picking it up are turned off by the new "childish" cover.

I don't think Sneaker is ever going to appear again. They invested quite heavily in the Classics club series and it actually drove the label under. But thank god the series is alive and well as part of Kadokawa bunko.
I see... Though they are doing a pretty good job of it.

Actually, while it's not common, there are several light novels written in the third person narrative. On the top of my mind would be Shakugan no Shana and Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei.

I think the adults don't want to be seen reading something with the anime-ish cover, though they can simply remove the external cover easily. I don't always do that myself, but I do do that for 'ecchi-er' covers
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote