View Single Post
Old 2008-03-29, 20:04   Link #100
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
If Shana never showed up when she did and Friagne never came to Misaki, I'm fairly certain that Yuji would be going for Kazumi. Regardless, he's found out he somehow doesn't belong with humans, and the only one of his close friends that will probably live as long as he will is Shana. As long as Kazumi isn't an eternally living mystes like Yuji himself or a flame haze like Shana, she will never have a real concrete chance at him. And though I do particularly like the idea of Kazumi becoming a flame haze, Satou has more chance at becoming a flame haze than her so why bother?
I think this makes Yuji's preference for Shana a bit more *rational* than it is. Indeed, both Shana and Kazumi got ticked off at Yuji for trying to dump Kazumi using these sorts of practical reasons. The show has consistently tied Yuji to the human world, despite his otherworldy status--hence, all the slice-of-life stuff. By the end of the second season, even Shana is trying to keep Yuji connected to the human world--hence, how upset she was at his comments about his mother.

That being said, if Shana weren't around, then I think Yuji would definitely have gone after Kazumi. She's cute, nice, is much better "endowed" than Shana, and has all sorts of good points. In many ways, she's a far *better* match for Yuji than Shana, especially S1 Shana who is downright abusive and obnoxious in the way she treats Yuji early on.

And I think Yuji is genuinely fond of Kazumi. I for one have never agreed with Kazumi-hate. But arguably as early as that weird scene where Shana puts Yuji's cut body back together in that first fuzetsu, there's been this weird romantic tension between the two. I guess the other major scene would be the coffee on the roof.

Last edited by Aquifina; 2008-03-29 at 20:14.