View Single Post
Old 2010-12-14, 11:55   Link #245
Isako
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Isako
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
I'm Romanian, and here we also usually state last name first, so you have a good point: America is not the only country.

Also, on the shows I work on, there will always be honorifics and Japanese name order, regardless of where the action is taking place. For all I know, even if they are in Fantasy Land No.345211, how can I be sure that they don't also have the same culture as Japan? It's a fantasy world, so it can have it, or it can't. For example, Fairy Tail. They are not in Japan (or planet Earth), but they use honorifics all the time, usually for jokes. True, in this particular anime, you can pretty much translate them, and still keep the jokes.
Well my point was, there are some animes out there, like Sora no Woto that have a mixture of Western and Japanese names and are set in a fantasy land. In that case, I would most definitely not put everything in Japanese honorfics and Japanese name order in that situation. In such a case as this, the best thing to do is to well leave it as was intended to be: mixed. Though, I'd probably even take out the honorifics for such an anime, or give them equivalent English substitutions where possible.

And as for as dubbing, I agree. That's kinda what I meant. You aren't bound to stick to Japanese principals when you do a dub. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Isako is offline   Reply With Quote