View Single Post
Old 2011-11-02, 16:31   Link #132
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Is this thread still relevant?
I'll take the silence as a "yes, we haven't reached a decision".

One way to solve the problem is to just leave it as-is and improve separately. Yes I'm talking about the social/technological gap and not the question of ending it in particular.

For example let's take google and yahoo. Both have video services but in the case of yahoo you have it on the same site cluttered with the rest of the junk while google has specialized sister sites, leaving their original search service as-is.

Many sites including yourself do this sister-site approach already, albeit most not intentionally. So in the case of animesuki you have:
www.animesuki.com
forums.animesuki.com
Now, in your case I'm pretty sure you just did it unintentionally because if it was intentional it wouldn't be "www" (www is usually used for standalone sites to distinguish servers, in case you had say a ftp server, ie. ftp.animesuki.com), instead it would be something like "torrents" (with www being a redirect, because hey why not avoid duplication of content issue on search engines?).

But anyway, since it kind of looks like it why not just go with it? So now instead of asking yourself how to fix this old clunker, which I'm sure is a task you're just as exited for as fixing an 18 century broken watch, you can bypass the problem altogether by treating animesuki as a community instead of "the torrent index" (makes more sense too, since it's not animetorrentsuki.com after all ^^;;). So instead of www.animesuki.com you got torrents.animesuki.com and now with all these new frontiers opening up you can just add them as independent entities to the community. So streams.animesuki.com or to use Dextro's blog idea (which I kind of hate tbh, lol) news.animesuki.com, and just leave the current torrent index as-is.

Alternatively if you want it to sound more fresh you could just do a name variation instead of the subdomain variation. So you could have streamsuki.com ("stream love") or to keep with the randomness animetsuki.com ("animation moon" I think... should have roughly the same pronunciation for silly westerners like me though). Probably not the best examples since both seem to be used but you get the idea: if you can't fix it, create a new beginning.

This somewhat simplifies the problem since it separates the concerns, and to some extent answers real question at hand: "is the torrent index what animesuki is all about?" (in the absence of this question there would be no "time to end it" since there would be no "end" nor a reason for shutting down a functioning system)