View Single Post
Old 2011-10-21, 19:48   Link #995
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k
I know it has a "few" similarities to Code Geass, but I don't mind it at all.
But it's not similar enough to Code Geass...

Code Geass without Lelouch isn't Code Geass, and that dude Gai isn't Lelouch. His hair's too long and blonde, he is not the hero, his voice's too deep, and he's not nearly as fabulous.

[Yes, these are very important traits. And yes, I am completely serious. A long haired manipulative blondie with secret agendas is a whole different archetype, and considerably more boring and generic, compared to His Fabulousness.]

Still sexy visuals, still sexy music, top-notch production values -- albeit I don't particularly dig the OP -- but the plot has gone down to hell real quick. You tell me I need to turn my brains off, I say it kept jolting my disbelief awake. International peacekeeping forces DO NOT shoot the dogs for the lulz. They can most certainly unintentionally serve evil overlords, or operate questionably beyond treaty restrictions -- a certain very famous PC game has exactly that plot twist -- but they don't hire psychopaths with daddy issues and give them big, big robots to run around with. How ironic given the Suzaku hate back in the day, that he was by far a much more interesting foil and sympathetic antagonist to short-haired blondie who's only worth hating.

I don't care if he has tragic past whereby his precious mother got turned into a giant robot (c), he had been experimented upon with questionable drugs (c), and his puppy dog got shot to pieces by cruel, cruel big fat dirty men who raped it before they did the deed (c). He's a boring villain and that's how it is.

Also, not enough intelligent strategy and too much dramatic poses. Code Geass in its early episodes once again beat this, not by implementing actual intelligent strategies but by convincing the audience that there was one and Lelouch was indeed using it, and that his fabulously dramatic gestures were baits for the plan.

Too much fanservice, too. Fanservice is better when it's subtle, or dramatic, or parodic, or relevant to romantic interests, and worse when it's openly manipulative.

I gave the lead girl the benefit of the doubt in episode 1, but she hasn't shown anything more interesting in episode 2. I'd think a famous singer would have all sorts of personality quirks to spice up the show; well apparently not! At least make her tsundere goddammit.

Irenicus is not happy.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote