Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-30, 14:59   Link #488
August138

Thanks for the heads up and explanation, Sam!

Also, I had a question about the translations: I noticed that there were several nautical allusions, such as "Set Sail", etc., but at the same time when the crew interacts, "Hai" just becomes, "Yes" or "Yes, Sir", and not "Aye, aye" or "Aye, Sir". I was curious, as a fellow subtitle scripter, if this was even considered?

I beg your forgiveness, but I noticed three minor gaffes in the first two episodes (only because I'm a hardcore Yamato freak, and this is just my inner nerd going into overdrive, so my apologies): When referencing "Amaterasu" and "Uzume", they are rendered as if they are ship designations, but they are actually codenames. The Iscandarian ship already had a proper name, 「シェヘラザード」(Sheherazaado), and "Uzume" is the codename for the Martian Recovery Team for the Wave Motion Core (Kodai and Shima).

When we first see Shultz (I just can't bare to render his name as "Schultz", because I start thinking of the character in "Hogan's Heroes" — LOL!), he orders the preparation of the "Planet Bombs", but they launch the "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile" instead, which I thought was odd. So, I went back and checked the Japanese subs for the Gamilian translation, and he did say, "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile", not "Planet Bombs"「遊星爆弾」(Yusei Bakudan). This may have caused confusion with the Japanese for "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile", which is 「惑星間弾道弾」, where this mistake must have originated (although, in the rest of the episode, the subtitles renders it properly as "Interplanetary Ballistic Missile").

And... Well, I seem to have forgotten the third — Geritol, please! —so without looking over the two episodes again, I'll just bring up the topic of the Crew Rankings. When Okita is looking at the Top Secret Manifest for the Yamato Plan, Kodai and Shima are designated as "Third Lieutenant", which was extrapolated from 「三尉」(Sanjo), which should be an "Ensign", based on the rankings of the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Forces. Meanwhile, Shiro Sanada is ranked as "Major", from 「三佐」(Sansa), which is indeed "Major" in the Ground Self-Defense Forces (which is the equivelent Branch the character comes from in the 2199's military system). But, when he boards the Yamato, should he now become "Lieutenant Commander", which is the same "Sansa" ranking in the Maritime Self-Defense Forces, since he is now in the Cosmo Navy?

Inquiring Yamato nerds want to know!

Above and beyond these nitpicks, I want to say that I am grateful for the hard work you guys are doing and thankful that this release even includes such literate English Subtitles. Keep up the excellent work —I'm a fan!