View Single Post
Old 2012-11-18, 20:32   Link #92
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The similarities between this episode's killer and victim, and the two main protagonists of MariMite, is pretty remarkable:

Spoiler for Psycho-Pass and MariMite image comparison:

In both cases, you have an all-girls school with a certain air of refinement to it. In both cases, you have a taller, respected, older, smooth-talking, long-dark-haired beauty. In both cases, you have a shorter, charming, twin-tails girl that looks up to and admires her.

At least somebody on the Psycho-Pass Production committee was clearly influenced by MariMite, and decided to darkly invert it. As a big fan of MariMite, I found this quite chilling and effective.

What I think Gen is good at is taking these almost iconic images that anime fans tend to have warm mental associations with (these yuri/shoujo-ai archetypes, magical girl aesthetics, etc...) and showing how you can have this same imagery but with a much darker reality behind it.

It's very effective. It would be kind of like a comic book where the lead villain has the same appearance, mannerisms, style, and strengths of Superman, but is a brutal killer. Not Bizarro Superman, but something much more disturbing than that because the visual similarity is greater.

In other words he has an imagination and dares to buck the trends and establisments. I think hes this generations Yoshiyuki Tomino although perhaps far less influential.