View Single Post
Old 2007-10-07, 16:32   Link #23
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizar View Post
The squabble is about what the "HV" (or HD) label means really. I'm sure MBS broadcast something at a size of 1280x720, hence the cappers nabbing it at such in most cases (also the station logos are quite, quite clear)

Beyond that it's all guesswork as to what went on behind the scenes, i.e. is it a studio upscale, a station upscale, or what? I'm sure some HD resolution masters are hiding behind the scenes, but what got handed to the station really is anyone's guess.
For instance, Honey and Clover II was produced in SD and then shown with the HV label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Irrelevant. The difference is not between "everyone-of-the-three-steps HD" and "lower-res airing, rest all HD", but between this release and normal SD. The funny thing is that by this (frankly misleading) definition the highly expensive Air BluRay DVD set isn't HD. Many sequences are taken from normal SD captures, and visibly so.
Actually, while the animated cels on the AIR BluRay set were in standard definition and horribly upscaled, the backgrounds were originally higher resolution and thus didn't look as terrible in the BluRay set. And yes, AniVillage did give out some samples of their background files which were clearly higher resolution than 480p (although it might not have gotten anywhere near 1080p).

By the way, I took your image, loaded it into Photoshop, did a bicubic downsample to 720x480 and then upsampled it back up to 1280x720 and there's almost no difference.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6826/sdhdur2.png

Can you give a better example for me to try out?
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote