View Single Post
Old 2011-06-09, 10:15   Link #40
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Thanks for the replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Well from what I heard that's true, n others Madhouse's pioneer like Kioke and Yuasa (or on his case he have his own studio now)already work as freelance too

Some twitter post about this, but I'd assume you've read it already.
I kept on seeing it pop up frequently, so I started wondering if it was true. I wasn't aware that that many directors had already left Madhouse. Thanks for the tweet btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
I'm hoping the same. Asako-san doing great job in converting unique Buriki chara design at Denpa,
I'm really impressed by the anime designs in Denpa. Quite faithful to the novel yet not that had to animate.

Hopefully some the same magic is used here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
There's a difference between being an internal studio director, and a freelance director who simply chooses to work with a studio all the time. Hosoda for example, is a freelance director. He is not an actual Madhouse employee. He simply chooses to work with Madhouse for all his recent projects because they're good partners and able to get his projects greenlit and funded.

Araki as far as I know is (was?) a Madhouse employee. This means he's a director for the studio. The only times he would normally work on something for another studio would be if Madhouse was involved in a collaboration or outsourcing for that project. For example, if Production IG decided to outsource an episode of Ghost in the Shell to Madhouse because they are short on manpower, then it would not be unusual for Madhouse to put their own employees on the episode, including episode direction and/or storyboarding.

Since Madhouse has no involvement with this show at all, it is likely that Araki has gone freelance. This does not mean that Madhouse had a falling out with him though. It could simply mean that they had no work for him after Highschool of the Dead wrapped up (maybe because a second season was not renewed immediately?), and this opportunity came along. He would be stupid not to take it.
Okay that makes sense. But even if they didn't have work for him involving HotD, he still worked on a lot of Madhouse's more popular (and successful) titles, which is why I thought that Madhouse really is facing money related problems (i.e. they couldn't afford him) so they couldn't have him work on another project. Especially with how many are going freelance now.