View Single Post
Old 2009-04-16, 15:47   Link #118
brain
house music addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
For starters, let's start with the Christmas tree episode. That took a lot of suspension of disbelief, because it's physically impossible to take down a tree as sturdy and as large as Ryuuji's class's. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Inertia dictates that that tree wouldn't fall.

Another prominent failure of physics (because it's that realistic) is the fisticuffs between Ami and Minori in the snow. Minori's hairclip wouldn't have flown that far for Taiga to disappear without them noticing it if it was actually realistic. No matter how good a punch Ami gives, she couldn't have made it fly that far.

I also assume a hairclip is opaque in the dark. No, I'm pretty certain it's opaque in the dark. I am quite certain that it won't be seen (had it really flown that far in reality) by the naked eyes of Ryuuji in a snowstorm. Even with the sharpest eyes you couldn't see much in a snowstorm.

Also, why didn't the rescuers find Taiga? They're supposed to be good at their jobs, aren't they? I mean it's quite obvious Taiga fell through that deformed part of the fence, but it's probably because the snowstorm clouded their visibility to that extent, in which case a small hairclip shouldn't have sparkled.

That's just from the tip of my thoughts, for a show that's supposed to be grounded in reality, as you say. H&C never had those pretensions: it knew it was surreal. I'm sure you could complain about the magical unicorns in one episode, but it never pretended to be realistic. Its surrealism merely directed me, at least, to perceive what was really important, which were the interactions among them.
Okay, I see what you're saying. I agree that those are pretty far-fetched happenstances, and I wasn't at all thinking of those as the class of things you would be referring to when you say you have a hard time suspending your disbelief. I thought that you were saying that some aspect of the familial or romantic relationships seemed really off. The barrette event itself did seem quite contrived, absolutely, but that didn't prevent me from shedding melancholic tears at the scene of Ryuuji carrying Taiga back. The emotions the characters expressed felt genuine.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews