View Single Post
Old 2010-02-14, 19:12   Link #86
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
I voted for Reito x Mai, because their dynamic was more mature in my view. Of course Reito is more experienced / or has higher self esteem, but the way he arranged the date and almost got her to kiss him was more believeable in my eyes. Tate would have never stood a chance in real life.
Reito is a bit too suave for my tastes. I think he had a lot of charm, but I'm not actually sure he would have made a good match for Mai. I guess I feel like Mai was a bit infatuated with Reito as where it seems to me that she and Tate have quite a bit in common.

As for Tate not standing a chance... hard to say how things would have gone had they not played out the way they were written. I can actually see the two having become friends right off the bat had it not been for Tate's stupid little pervert moment in the first episode. On the other hand, had it not been for the early rockiness of their relationship, they might never have become anything more than that. So yeah, I guess you could say Tate got where he did because the plot was on his side. :lol: That being said, while the plot may have been deliberately constructed to set up that one scene between him and Mai in episode five, I don't think it's actually unrealistic for Mai to have started to see him as special because he was "someone she could talk to about her problems." That was fairly in character for her in my opinion.

And yeah, Mai and Tate were kind of immature early on, but that's part of what made watching the two of them fun, and I don't think it was particularly out of place given their age. Besides, I kind of liked how that part of Mai provided a counterbalance to the mature big sister side of her character.

I'll also admit I am perhaps a bit of a romantic. I like to think that people who had gone through the kind of experiences that Mai and Tate ended up going through would have a strong bond because of them. Whether that actually holds true in real life, I can't really say with much certainty though.

Hope you don't mind me going on like this, I sometimes really enjoy discussing characterisation for this series in depth.