View Single Post
Old 2012-08-23, 23:28   Link #36
Pathfinder4k

I give this series a 4 out of 10.

The first four episodes were good. I find someone seeing a ghost that no one else can . . . intriguing and mysterious. The steam was let out of episode five but just a little.

Where the series went downhill was the continuous deaths in each episode especially the final two. Lightning, earthquakes, explosions, rocks, umbrellas, boats, the Cook, glass, fire, crazy kids killing each was just plain over the top. With so many deaths even in 1998, there would have been news crews checking out this place. I felt this story could have been considerably condense into 6 to 7 episodes. The gloom demeanor of students ( not all ) throughout the series, reacting to horrible situations, the constant rumblings of the school ( deep bass ) is all a way to express a specific feeling to put the audience on edge ( which worked but became too much of the same thing over and over with each episode especially with the continuous deaths). I also felt the director and the script was forcing the audience to believe beyond logical and emotional breaking points. I think someone would have snapped by either attempting to burn the school room down or shutting down the school completely or something else extreme earlier on and not at the end of the series where everyone went crazy. Plus, the curse wasn't a strong enough antagonist. I thought the sense of urgency to resolve the curse was put on the back burner after finding out that Misaki wasn't a ghost in episode five. The main character and the audience was still figuring out what the curse is about and then slowly over 5 more episodes getting to a solution. The main character was not very direct so when someone either ignored his question or just told him to not ask, he would just give up. Again, very deliberate way of extending out the series which could have been condense in half.

Overall, great animation, death scenes were intense but the deliberate slow pacing of the series did not match the overall intensity of the problems that the protagonist was facing so a 4 out of 10 score.