Thread: Licensed Vivid Red Operation
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-18, 10:18   Link #668
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

So I'm kinda impressed by the detailing they've put into the military aircraft - we see a flight of 3 F-22s inbound at first, then followed by 6 F-35s, which are probably the \ CATOBAR C, as I don't see the duct fan intake hatch on the spine that would denote the B, and carriers would be the likely source for them Lightning IIs... also, given that the F-22s are shown firing AMRAAM missiles at the Alone, it's no wonder that they're not hurting it: the AMRAAM has a small blast fragmentation warhead, which is fine for killing planes, not so great for a large armored target. I have to wonder as to what missiles the DDGs are firing as well - it looks like Standard Missile 2s to me. Those are great SAMs, and can be used with some success against ships, but that's because naval ships are essentially unarmored. Tomahawks might be a better option, except that I don't see them - and anyhow those are land attack missiles; IIRC nobody uses the antiship variant anymore.

Still, while the fighters might not be too effective - and really, you need the F-35s up there to fire off Harpoons to really hurt that Alone - at least this Alone isn't as hax as the Neuroi.

Okay, this seems to be some kinda modified F-35, or they didn't do the research - the C - since that's what I'm assuming these are, given they're being launched from the George Washington - doesn't have an internal gun, it has a external 25mm gunpod, and it does not sound like a slow-firing machinegun...

Also, nice detailing on the hardware of the DDGs seen - I count two Kongo-class (Kongo & Myoko), plus a mix of Flight I and Flight II Arleigh-Burke-class DDGs (Flight Is are distinguishable from Flight IIs by the lack of an aft helo hangar) and Flight II Ticonderoga-class cruisers, as well as what I believe is the USS George Washington in the OP, based on the hull number.

And they even have Amagi using what looks to be a development of JHMCS - though it's not the actual F-35 helmet, which has a gold mirror surface. Well, she is a named character, afterall.

And while I'm kinda surprised that there's a passenger V-22 that Aoi's riding in, I do recall that Skikorsky and Bell have made civillian models of their military helicopters, the most famous being the Sea King and Huey respectively...

What does surprise me is that I see EA-6B Prowlers on the George Washington's flight deck; really by now they ought to have been replaced by the EA-18G Growler...

...I think I may have missed the point of the last two episodes. '

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2013-01-18 at 10:55.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote