View Single Post
Old 2007-12-23, 08:56   Link #76
Yuki~

Send a message via AIM to Yuki~
Eh, it's still up in the air for me whether he deserved to die or not. True, he broke the hearts of two girls that really cared for him, he slept with other girls not because he cared for them, but because he wanted some, and he got the girl he claims to love pregnant (though I question this, but still his reaction to her pregnancy was inconsiderate whether she was faking or not), and still he feels no regret until the very end (and maybe not even then). Despite all those things, I'm still unsure of whether he needs to die or not. Think of all the men and women in this world that do things like that, you wouldn't say they all deserved death would you? He was a teenager, his hormones were raging, he was unsure of what he wanted between these two girls. He needed comfort and apparently found it in sleeping with girls. I'm not saying that any of what he did is excusable, but you have to attempt to see it from his point of view before you can decide whether or not his death was justified. I really don't think he meant to hurt Sekai or Kotonoha, I think he was just thinking with his heart and penis rather than his brain, although he does somewhat realize what he's done in episode 11 when he can't get in contact with any of the girls (that is, until Kotonoha shows up and gives him the comfort he wanted/needed).
Now, before anyone replies saying "well you're just looking at it from his point of view", believe me, I'm not. Me being a woman, I completely sympathized with Kotonoha the most out of everyone. She was innocent throughout the entire relationship, yet she was hurt and devastated the most. Now, there isn't really much background information to justify the statement that "Makoto drove her insane" but you do have to admit that he caused a great deal of it, seeing her change throughout. Sekai I don't sympathize as much, because she of all people should have known that it was wrong, and I do understand that she, like Makoto, had hormones and feelings, but had she never kissed him, let him "practice" with her, he more than likely wouldn't have cheated on Kotonoha. Sekai should have been the one attempting to stop the relationship, seeing as how she brought Makoto and Kotonoha together in the first place. She has as much blame in this situation as Makoto does. I can somewhat sympathize with Sekai for the way Makoto reacted to her pregnancy by telling her to get an abortion, then to leave his house while he brings Kotonoha over (which she had to find out herself), but killing him was not the way to go about things.
Maybe I'm not sympathizing enough with the girls, but I honestly believe that Makoto did not deserve to die, though that doesn't mean he should go without punishment. Had Kotonoha never showed up in ep 11 I think he would have realized his actions, honestly he had already started to when he began to think about Kotonoha, or maybe that was just him thinking "Man I'd love to have her in bed" but we'll just leave that one for the imagination. Maybe a nice long beating or torture of some sort might have sufficed, but not death. Though, he still may not have learned his lesson. We're all unsure of whether he learned his lesson as he was being killed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
If he hadn't gotten the business end of a knife, as an old man, he would eventually have died alone, unmourned and unloved.
Though being alone the rest of his life would have been an excellent punishment, we all know that as long as she lives, Kotonoha would have never let that happen. Even after death, she was still with him.