View Single Post
Old 2008-02-20, 17:30   Link #230
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Well, it's important to understand the consequences of such quick recovery... especially on the fact that the recovery itself was based on (as far as I recall from my history classes) pushing the arms industry.

Sooner or later, they had to put the weapons into use, or the production would have been wasted.
This is a good point, but Germany had previously been disarmed and humiliated on the international stage. The United States is currently engaged militarily in Afghanistan and Iraq. I don't want to say that it couldn't get worse and that the US couldn't go crazy (most of us who don't favor Iraq are terrified that Iran or North Korea would do something to provoke Bush into going over there; China and now Russia also seem keen on getting into that game) but I think that the situation is quite different. Notably, I think that a good majority (I believe it's reached into the 70%'s) no longer support military actions in Iraq, so it's unlikely that the US would be up for doing something similar to what Nazi Germany did.